Ancienne Ecole du Villard
Until the early 60’s, Ancienne Ecole du Villard was used as the primary school of the farming village Le Villard. A school like the school you may know from the film ‘Être et avoir’ from director Nicolas Philibert. The school had only one classroom in which all the children of the village were taught simultaneously. The teacher lived above the school on the first floor of the building. In that period, urbanisation began and the number of the children in the village decreased. The schools in these small villages were closed. The remaining children were picked up with a mini-bus and brought to the larger school in the more central church village.
The land and lay-out of the house
The first thing you will notice upon arrival is the beautiful area in which the house is located. Green meadows, separated by wooden walls with footpaths in between, surround the house. Two beautiful table mountains dominate the view from the rooms and from the large terrace. The house is situated on a slope on a piece of land of approximately 1900 m2. What is the ground floor at the front of the house is the first floor at the back. There is a private car park at the front of the house that can comfortably accommodate five cars. A narrow footpath runs in along the front of the house. Most of the land is covered in grass. On the South side there is a large seat and a long, fixed table. This area is separated from the lawn by a ‘wild’ garden, laid out on a slope. There are many spots about the place where you can read a book or day dream in an easy chair with a view over the surrounding landscape. The village St. Pierre d’Entremont is located a couple of miles down, in the valley below and has a grocery, cheeseshop, butcher, pharmacy, general doctor, tourist office, post office, bank and a petrol station.
The large, 50 m2 living room is at the heart of the house. It contains several sitting areas, a corner kitchen, large dining tables and a wood-burning stove. The living room has four large, sliding windows with beautiful views over the surrounding area. In the winter months, you can of course also use the wood-burning stove.The corner kitchen has an L-shaped work surface, cupboards, a built-in convection oven, a microwave, an induction hob, a cooker hood, a fridge, a dishwasher, a coffee machine and a kettle. There is enough kitchenware for 14 people.The living room leads to the hall which opens on to the stairs and terrace.
The terrace is closed with a balustrade and is 40 m2 large. It contains a large table and chairs.
The basement communicates with the ground floor living room via a staircase. It is a space containing a washing machine, tumble dryer, freezer and another fridge It also contains a toilet. The basement has a door to the garden.
The five bedrooms are on the upper floors
- Mont Blanc Room: this room is 13 m2 large and has two separate beds which can be joined to make a double (160 x 200 cm) should you prefer. The room is situated at the back of the house and has beautiful views from its large, sliding windows. This room’s bathroom is situated immediately opposite it and contains a shower, toilet, basin and three windows.
- Annapurna Room: this room is 13 m2 large and has two separate beds (90 x 200 cm) which can be joined to make a double (180 x 200 cm) should you prefer. The room is situated at the back of the house and has beautiful views from its large, sliding windows. This room’s bathroom is situated diagonally across from it and contains a shower, toilet and basin.
- Ararat Room: This room is 12 m2 and has two separate beds (80 x 200 cm) which can be joined to make a double (160 x 200 cm) should you prefer. The room is situated at the front of the house and has beautiful views from its large, sliding windows. This room has an en suite bathroom with a shower, toilet, basin and large, sliding windows.
- McKinley Room: This room is 13 m2 large and has two separate beds (90 x 200 cm) which can be joined to make a double (180 x 200 cm) if you prefer. This room is situated at the back of the house and it has beautiful views from a Velux window in the roof. Its bathroom is situated directly opposite it and contains a shower, toilet and basin. The bathroom also has a Velux window in the roof.
- Kilimanjaro Room: 17 m2 room with four separate beds (two 90 x 200 cm and two 80 x 200 cm). The last two beds can also be made into a double(160 x 200 cm). The room is situated at the South of the house and has beautiful views from two Velux windows in the roof. This room has an en suite bathroom with shower, toilet, basin and a Velux window in the roof.
All beds have comfortable mattresses and duvets
Not fancy for cooking?
On request we will be happy to prepare a three course meal for you, once or several days. We use local products. A three-course dinner costs € 25 p.p. Ask about the possibilities and discuss your wishes with us!
So if you like hiking, a child-friendly ski area, or cross-country skiing, you’e come to the right place! Please feel free to browse through this website and discover all the possibilities our house can offer.
Marjolein and Paul Boogaards
Ancienne Ecole du Villard
73670 St. Pierre d’Entremont
Landline + 33 479 2622 30
Mobile: + 33 638 911 165